A NATO official said on Wednesday that the alliance was prepared to deal with any threat and would always do whatever was necessary to defend all member states.
The comments came in response to questions about a Financial Times report suggesting that Iran may be considering attacks on US military targets in Europe if President Donald Trump escalates the war.
According to Reuters, the NATO official said: “As was demonstrated this year when NATO air defences successfully intercepted ballistic missiles heading towards Turkey from Iran on four separate occasions, deterrence and defence remain strong and effective.”
Iran Reportedly Weighs US Targets in Europe
The Financial Times, citing “sources close to the Iranian regime”, reported that Iran was examining the possibility of attacking US military targets in Europe if Trump escalated the war, as Tehran considers options for intensifying the conflict.
Two sources familiar with discussions inside the Iranian system told the newspaper that Iranian forces had assessed the possibility of striking US sites in south-eastern European countries such as Bulgaria.
Bulgaria last month approved the use of Bezmer Air Base for refuelling US aircraft.
One of the sources added that Cyprus was also among the potential targets for retaliation if US attacks resumed.
A British airbase in Cyprus was targeted by a drone in March.
The two sources also said Iranian forces had separately examined the possibility of attacking undersea fibre-optic cables in the Strait of Hormuz if the situation escalated further.




